Alyeska's Ship Escort/Response Vessel System
The Ship Escort/Response Vessel System (SERVS) was created in 1989 to prevent oil spills and provide oil spill response and preparedness capabilities for Alyeska Pipeline Service Company and Alaska crude oil shipping companies.
Working closely with the U.S. Coast Guard, SERVS personnel monitor vessel traffic so tankers can safely travel through the Sound. Five state-of-the-art tugboats guide tankers through the Valdez Narrows and Hinchinbrook Entrance. Two tugs depart with every tanker, loaded with oil spill response equipment such as boom, skimmers and smaller work boats.
SERVS maintains a constant state of readiness. Crews are available to respond to an oil spill 24 hours a day, 365 days a year. Oil spill response equipment and crews stage in key areas around Prince William Sound. Personnel participate in various drills and exercises to practice spill response tactics.
Marine Services Transition
In July 2018, the Alyeska/SERVS marine services contract transitioned from Crowley Marine to Edison Chouest Offshore (ECO). ECO designed and built a fleet of new tugs that will escort tankers and perform other operations in Prince William Sound. The Crowley fleet has served Prince William Sound well and was top-of-the-line when constructed. The ECO fleet incorporates new technology, winches and lessons learned from the last 20 years, with additional power, capabilities and flexibility. Click on the links below for more information.
* SERVS Brochure (2018)
* ECO Fleet Vessel Fact Sheets (2018)
* ECO/Alyeska transition infographic map of Prince William Sound (2018)
* "Spill prevention and response capabilities are improving for Prince William Sound," by Alyeska President Tom Barrett, in Anchorage Daily News, March 1, 2018
* Alyeska President Tom Barrett's Marine Services Contract Transition testimony for House Resources Committee, February 7, 2018, Juneau -- Written testimony; PowerPoint presentation; Video of hearing
* Alyeska President Tom Barrett's op-ed about the Marine Services Contract Transition in the Juneau Empire (January 2018)
* Training FAQ (April 2018)
* Contract finalization announcement (August 2016)
* Marine Services Transition overview (August 2016)
* Detailed vessel comparison; current fleet vs. ECO fleet (February 2017)
* Sound fleet facts vessel capability pamphlet (May 2017)